These COVID-19 days have been intense. Frankly, I've met a lot of church leaders who are just weary.
If that's where you are, here are some warning signs it's time to take a day off—whether you work for a church or a secular employer.
1. You haven't had a day off in a month. I'm learning there's nothing godly about workaholism. In fact, it's idolatry.
2. You dread going to work. If you start the day defeated, you probably need to take a break.
3. Others comment on your fatigue. Sometimes we're the last ones to recognize the fatigue in our face, but we seldom hide it from others.
4. You don't pray much about your job. We're doing our work in our own power when we don't pray and that reality wears us out. Take a day off and pray.
5. You quietly and "humbly" let folks know you've not taken any time off. When you feel the need to brag about your busyness, step away for a day. The work will go on without you.
6. You've lost your Christian joy—particularly over your work—but you don't know why. You might just be tired and need a break.
7. Your family keeps asking when they'll have time with you. Their words are a clear sign you need to lay aside your work to hang out with them.
8. Your family doesn't like you anymore. I'm being somewhat facetious but not entirely. When we take out our stress and fatigue on others, we need to take a break.
9. You don't laugh at work anymore. Laughter is evidence of some level of fun. If you used to laugh at work but no longer do, the strain will catch up with you.
10. Nobody else around you seems to be having fun. If nobody's having fun around you anymore, it's quite possible you're the problem. Step away from the strain for a day.
11. Your eating and workout habits are going downhill. Even if you get all your work done, but at the expense of your health, you haven't ultimately helped anybody.
12. Illnesses are recurrent. Overcoming an illness usually demands rest and sleep. Both require taking the time to do them.
13. Your job stress keeps you awake at night. You're not getting much rest because your job is always on your mind.
14. You haven't taken a vacation in years. I've learned that this issue goes hand in hand with needing a day off. People who never take a vacation often never take a day off, either.
15. You no longer thank God for your job. When you're no longer grateful to Him, you probably need to take a day or two to get refocused.
What would you add to this list?
Chuck Lawless is dean of doctoral studies and vice president of spiritual formation and ministry centers at Southeastern Seminary in Wake Forest, North Carolina, where he also serves as professor of evangelism and missions. In addition, he is team leader for theological education strategists for the International Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Help Charisma stay strong for years to come as we report on life in the Spirit. Become an integral part of Charisma’s work by joining Charisma Media Partners. Click here to keep us strong!
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. taught by Dr. Mark Rutland. If you're the type of leader that likes to have total control over every aspect of your ministry and your future success, the NICL is right for you!
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.Do you feel stuck? Do you feel like you’re not growing? Do you need help from an expert in leadership? There is no other leadership training like the NICL. Gain the leadership skills and confidence you need to lead your church, business or ministry. Get ready to accomplish all of your God-given dreams. CLICK HERE for NICL training dates and details.
The NICL Online is an option for any leader with time or schedule constraints. It's also for leaders who want to expedite their training to receive advanced standing for Master Level credit hours. Work through Dr. Rutland's full training from the comfort of your home or ministry at your pace. Learn more about NICL Online. Learn more about NICL Online.